Sunday, September 7, 2008

Columbia Kids Triathlon



Saturday we took Christopher out to try his first Triathlon and he had a ball. At first he was a little hesitant on doing anything other than the bike portion as he's at a phase that if he thinks he might have a hard time with something he would rather not do it. After we encouraged him and explained how thats what makes you better and he will feel great once he does it he was psyched and ready. We entered him in the age 6-7 short course which consited of the regular 6-7 bike and run but only one lap of swimming. This was one level up from the mighty mights and being the short swim he wasnt eligible for actual placement but we mainly wanted him to have him enjoy the experience.

His swim went better than expected but he doesnt like to put his eyes in the water without a mask so he just exhausted himself paddling above water for the whole length. When he got out and had to run to his bike I was able to run down with him and help him dry off and get his bike gear on. Gotta say I was one proud dad down there, it was a trip standing with him panting and tired but anxious to get going. He took off great on the bike, like dad he rides an anchor and I felt for him but he moved on out just fine. He had to ride two laps around a neighborhood block and when he pulled in you could tell he was tired. I helped him park his bike and then ran with him back to the same line he just road where he had to take off for one lap of running. Again the proud Dad moment, he took off running all the way till he was a tad away from me then slowed to a fast paced walk for a bit and just kept looking back to see if I could still see him then he would pick it up again. When he was all done I asked him about that and he said thats how he made new energy out there to run again :).

The whole thing was great and we all enjoyed it very much and can only hope he wants to do this again.









2 comments:

jpelton said...

Jim,
That is good stuff!!! I got your post, but we could not make it due to other obiligations with soccer.
Let me know if there are any other tris. I am sure that my daughter and son would love to give it a shot.

Sounds like your son had a good time and some feeling of accomplishment. That is the ticket to a life long addiction.

Tom said...

Jim, I'll be at Harbison tonite around 6:15 (Monday 15th). Hadn't seen you in a while, but thought I'd let you know.