Sunday, August 31, 2008

Sunday Stroll with new Pedals

Headed out to HSF for a morning ride to finally try out my new pedals Tonya got me for my birthday. Having shed the combo platforms/spd's weighing in at 568 grams I was eager to lighten the load and put these babies on. After some normal back and forth between the frogs and egg beaters I ended up getting a set of Eggbeaters SL Stainless which say they weigh in at 260g. Hard to believe I saved over 300 grams just on the pedals but I'll take it however I can.
Last night I mounted the pedals, setup the cleats and was ready to roll this morning. Gotta say I like them alot and where I thought it was going to be too little with just a couple of prongs carrying the load I dont notice any drawback whatsoever and seemed to pedal easier. I did have a couple moments of fiddling around trying to engage but I'm sure thats just the unfamiliarity of switching from those beasts of a pedal that I could slam down anywhere around the 4" circumfrance of the platform and in they would slide. Also had one fall where I couldnt get out in time on spider inner loop climb I just started spinning and lost momentum and down I went in the brush.
Figured I'd be doing the solo ride since my timing lately has been hit or miss on hooking up with any of the usuals but ran into a guy (Mark) I used to see all winter that was on a single speed today so we ended up riding. Sorry Tom, missed your message otherwise I would of called. You may even know this guy from around your neck of the woods as he lives up in Blythewood somewhere off 21. Says he does alot of road riding and dont quote me but could of swore he said he did 22 centries last year, something like he set a goal to do one a month but then really got into it and rode all he could find.
The overall pace today was just a steady roll where we only averaged 10 mph. Weird, as slow of a pace as it was my heart rate was thru the roof today and even the easier climbs I was pushing 184 which is about 14 bpm higher than what I have been running so I wasnt complaining any on the slower pace. Just a good base miles ride, right.

Stats:
Total Miles: 23.47
Avg Speed: 10

No comments: