Sunday, August 24, 2008

Speed Lessons

Been quite the hectic work schedule lately working 60+ hours the last couple weeks and has been taking a toll on family and trail time only to get a ride whenever I could manage. Hit HSF yesterday afternoon to try to add a few miles on and ran into Monty on Spider Woman. Seems like forever since I've seen him out there. After catching up on some conversations and all we headed out for some brisk riding. He warned me he was riding pretty strong and all but I like those rides anyway and said I'd do what I could to not keep him waiting to long at the checkpoints.
Fast paced it was indeed. Been so long since Ive ridden with him almost forgot why his blog is called "gone in 60 seconds", thats about the time I could manage to keep him insight! It was a good speed lesson and even though I didnt ride alot of miles I definately had to push way harder. Sorry Monty, I know you were saying things a couple of times I just couldnt muster the breath to speak let alone conversation. I think I pretty much rode at what would be my race pace and my heart rate was staying up around 170-180 whenever I glanced down. Had it not been for the long shop talk breaks we kept doing at checkpoints I know my avg heart rate would of been alot higher.
Did end up setting a new personal high average speed for this ride of 11.9 . Definately need to do this again!

Stats:
Distance: 19.87
Avg Speed: 11.9 (new personal high)
Avg HR: 155 (although way skewed from all the long checkpoint breaks)
Max Speed: 26.3

5 comments:

Jason said...

Killer average! Riding with Monty when he's laying down the rubber will make you a)Ride Faster than normal b)give up and enjoy the trees or c)keep up and vomit :)

Jim said...

Luckily for me it was option 'a' this go round. And I thought he was taking a break from the Mountain bike scene for awhile, he must be listening to some subliminal sleep tape sessions or somethin. I know its been awhile, but he seems quicker now than before :).

hammernails said...

You guys are funny!
Actually I named my blog after my favorite movie "Gone In 60 Seconds" for I'm a big time muscle car fan. Anyway, congrats on the personal best average. Maybe you can come over to my side of town and ride a dirt road ride with me, its a lot of fun a night. Spooky spooky!

Jim said...

I dont live to far down off the other side of old two notch across from #6, I'll have to drive a route to the interstate up by you to see roughly how far it is and what type of time I could make. That actually sounds pretty good, especially after a wash out week like this, Harbison is probably pretty soupy by now.

Tom said...

Jim, Got your message the other night about the harrells ride. Sorry I missed the call. Whens your next ride?