Saturday, August 2, 2008

Saturday Group Ride

Good Saturday ride this morning. Hooked up with Tom, Dennis, Joe and Barret this morning around 7 for a beat the heat ride. Well, it was a good idea anyway but darn it sure felt thick this morning even from the getgo and just rapidly got worse. Think if it wasnt for the endurolytes and gels I would of tanked but they somehow kept me in check thruout the day even dropping 5 lbs of fluid from the event.
Soon after we pulled out Tom blew a front tire flat going down that Firebrake downhill creek crossing section where you really get flying but somehow he was able to save it from a nasty crash and Barret had a spare tube to make for a quick change and we were off again. Good Save Tom, that could of been a rough one.
Hit the bluffs, then off to Spider Woman counterclockwise with inner loop, couldnt of been more than 30 minutes into the ride and thats when started really feeling the heat and pretty much stayed soaked the remainder of the day.
We hit that long fireroad at the back of stewardship today but this time we were going the other way to let us rip that baby down hill. Feeling good and enjoying the ride and all it was here I tried to get a piece of Joe. Joe was in the lead so I started jokingly shouting outdaway, outdaway and felt the need to get a little hammer out. It was another flash of forgetting the caliber of riders I'm with, Joe was ever so gracious to move over to the side to let me up, but not let me by, he was ready to bring on some hammer of his own. We were off..... and moving too, hit a new max speed of 31.2 and was a good burst of hammer, but ever so short lived. Only could hang for a tad and Joe quickly put me in my place , but it was fun while it lasted :) .
Somewhere around the 24 mile mark we were running out of hydration and most everyone had other things to do so we ended up back at the filling station and talked shop while Tom, Joe, and Barret packed up.
Dennis and I wanted to get some more base miles and ended up doing one more clockwise outerloop (less spidy) to make sure we got our 30 in. This was the first real ride that I actually got to talk with Dennis any and was really good meeting/riding with ya. Hopefully will have plenty other oportunities. Dennis, if you make your way to this post, your number came across as restricted on my cell phone so I couldnt get it, give me a call sometime if your want to ride.

Stats:
Distance: 33.91
Avg Speed: 10.6
Max Speed: 33.91 (Trying to take Joe on )
Avg HR: 149

3 comments:

hammernails said...

30+ miles in that heat at Harbison, that is a lot in that stagment air.

Tom said...

It took everything out of me and I didn't have much to bring in the first place.

Went back out last night for a little solo personal redemption and rode the same route .5 mph faster. It was just as hot though.

Jim said...

Nothing like the redemption rides. I know how that is, after I pulled my Bushwacker ride I went back and rode crooked pine 4 times and it was never sweeter.