Thursday, July 31, 2008

Wed Crap Ride

Not sure if the rain was going to hit or not still decided to head to Harbison for the Wednesday ride, but it was a complete no show for anybody else last night. The lot was pretty empty and didnt even run into any of the Cycle Center guys. Ended up a solo journey but atleast the weather ended up being more pleasant to ride in than I have had in quite awhile. Guess the nearby storms cooled it down and kept a steady breeze all evening and never ran into a drop out there. While it wasnt any hammer down ride I still managed to get in a 22 mile ride on just a half pack of hydration. Lately the heat/humidity had been taking a toll on me and I had resorted to taking some electrolyte tablets and hitting the refill station just to make it easier (atleast psycologicly).
Saw one big black snake crossing the stewardship trail that luckily for me was just far enough ahead that half of it cleared the trail just in time for me to get by without having to run it over or anything. It was a good size one and glad I didnt have to deal with any outcome that may have resulted.
In hindsight I think I may have faired better with the snake though. Somewhere on firebreak I recalled something flew up and was bouncing around on my feet and legs. At the time I just thought I somehow got some kicked up branch or pine cone. Thing was whatever it was it caught my attention because somehow it lingered just long enought that I was like wow, whatever that was it bobled around enough that I thought of how you would juggle a soccer ball around on your knees and feet to see how long you could keep it going. Well, when I finally got back to my truck and stopped all I could smell was shit. I was like what the hell! Then the disgust came instantly on, sure enough that was a pile of shit strung together with pinestraw. I kid you not there was a freakin loaf still intact and full sitting dead ontop of my shock. The rest of it what was left was all over my tires, frame and legs -- DAMMN . Anyway grabbed the nearest stick and and started getting what I could off. Also, for those with young kids, I was also very glad I keep a pack of baby wipes in the truck and damn near emptied the pack doing cleanup. Guess the rule of taking out what you bring in doesnt apply to the dogs, ... to bad.

Stats:
Distance: 22.02
Time: 2:00
Avg: 11.0
Avg HR: 147

6 comments:

Jason said...

Nasty... I second the amazing power of the humble baby wipe. I've used them to remove ink and paint. They remove food from clothing... they even remove dog poo from your bike frame :)

11 mph Avg... I think you'd drop me for sure now :)

Tom said...

Always an adventure. (your write-ups)

Jim said...

Although I feel I have been getting a little more efficient dont let the 11.0 avg fool ya, Ive been hitting a couple long gravel road sections lately just to get some xtra miles in and mix it up. That nice long one at the back of stewardship raises it then on spider woman I took the route along the river instead of the rock garden.

A'men to the wipes for sure, wont be leaving home without them :)

Tom said...

Jim,

Dennis and I will be there at 7:00 am saturday if you want to join. Anyone for that matter.

-Tom

Training Tim said...

My rides are sooo boring compared to yours. I must catch you next time just for some fun!

Jim said...

Sounds good, I'll try to make the 7:00 AM. If you dont see me dont bother waiting though as would mean I must of overslept and I'll maybe run into you on the trail a little later.