Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Wednesday Pinch Flat

It was a groupless ride tonight, this was the first time I had been out that I didnt see anyone of the usuals. We did have one of the cycle center guys show up that had caught wind that we have a good ride going and I told him he must of jinxed it cuz this was a first not seeing any of the other fella's out here. It was Harry the guy that smoked the 50+ age group along with most of the younger sport classes too at the RTR. At the race I was ontop of the midlands switchback climb, saw him down below crossing the bridge right before the climbs and he still blew by me to hit spider woman first so I knew he better lead this one tonight. It was just the two of us tonight and we did the full outerloop with Lost Creek and spider woman (no inner) but on the way back to the lot he took us thru Crooked Pine back thru the switchbacks and a new fireroad climb I dont think I've climbed up before.
On Lost Creek about middle way where you shoot down a rooty drop then have a quick up against a root section (where Jason, Tim and I saw that family stopped that day) I had my first pinch flat. My front tire hit that root pretty good and I must of had my weight forward cuz as soon as I crested and turned it just made a loud woosh sound and went instantly flat. This was a weird pinch flat as it was closer to the backside of the tube and only one spot but it was definatley a gashed open. Talk about breaking pace of a ride, I told Harry he could go on so he doesnt fall out of groove but he hung back and helped too. I thought I was set carrying my pump with me but after about 5 minutes of having no luck getting it to work ended up putting a single can of CO2 in there and took what I could get out of it. Guess I'll need to get a reliable working pump now and have been carrying this heavy piece of junk for nothing.
Overall a good paced ride tonight and Im getting a little more comfortable in my new Bontrager rear tire and its unmistakenly a noticeable improvement in rolling resistance over the excavator. Real glad I swapped this out for the dry season and Im definately gonna get an easier rolling front.

Stats:
Distance: 22.51
Time: 2:07
Avg: 10.5
Max: 23.2
Avg HR: 153

3 comments:

Jason said...

Sorry I missed the ride, I've been a little burned out at Harbison so I spent the evening with the family. What psi were you running when you flatted?

hammernails said...

I hate that I missed the ride too.
Like Jason I need to change it up a little. I have ride the road a little lately. Matbe I will be back next week.

Jim said...

I was running my normal 30psi on the front , just must of hit it just right or somethin.
Oh, with your mentioning a change up, Harry mentioned a couple new sections there adding in, the front section there adding a couple switchbacks that will cross over the main trail 2 or 3 times, then on the back said there thinking about rerouting stewardship somewhere around that best downhill section, I hope they dont loose that one. Guess we will see, but he said they hired a professional to do the trail consturction (same guy that worked some of fats , so lets keep our fingers crossed).