Friday, July 4, 2008

Saturday Ride - New HR Max

Anybody up for a Saturday morning Harbison ride tomorrow? Was going to try and hit the trails by 8:30 and aim for 30+ miles.

Update:
Good ride today, ran into Harry in the lot when I pulled in who was just out for a ride himself and Monty ended up being able to make it. In hindsight should of known we were in for a ride when he pulled out the RacerX instead of the SS. The 3 of us started out far from a warm up pace and quickly realized this wasnt gonna be any easy cruising today. This quickly turned into a grueling struggle to try and keep him in sight which after just a short pace into Lost Creek ended in a loosing battle, so I had to set a new mark on trying to keep pace/view with Harry.
It was a quick pace thru the outer loop and spider woman with inner and after spider woman the heat, legs and pace was telling us this was gonna be a rough one to pull out the 30+ goal. We took a breather exiting spider woman for some gel shots and think both Monty and Harry were about out of water here so we set aim to finish the complete outer loop and hit the water station before we start dehydrating. After cresting midlands mountain I didnt see either one of them the rest of the ride back to the lot, I can only imagine how hard they were pushing it. Back at the filling station we all had to refill with some water (this was the first I had almost completely drained my pack which was somewhere between 70-100oz).
Back at the lot we had to take a refuel break and eat a hammer bar and Monty gave me a couple hammer electrolytes or something to the like to help finish out the day. What were those, Im gonna have to get some of those as they did prevent me from any cramping and kept me going.
Monty had other things he had to do and so after the refueling break Harry and I headed out for one more outer loop to try and get some miles in. We made a pack that it would NOT be at the same feaverish pace, the heat and humidity was beyond taking a toll. When we finished the reverse outerloop we were still just around 28 miles and this just wasnt going to do. Darn it, we felt like we earned a 30 mile mark today so we headed down the dirt road and around the ranger station just to get us there. Still ended up 0.03 hundredths short, but hey, Im calling it 30 mile day anyway.

On the spiderwoman inner loop I also noticed I hit a new max heartrate of 190. It may have not been the ultimate climb/sprint option , but since this was the highest Ive seen yet Im plugging this into the monitor now. I know after cresting that inner hill that set this new high I was feeling like I had no more to give and even coasted down the descent still in granny not enough energy to make a shift fearing it would only result in having to drop it down again on the slightest whooptyDo.

Overall Stats:
Distance: 29.97
Time: 2:44
Avg: 10.9
Max Speed: 27.2
Avg HR: 151
Max HR: 190

5 comments:

hammernails said...

I will try and make it. I will call you if I am coming and I am going to be late.

Jason said...

I may try to make it out there, but I've had too much beer, too many burgers, and too many fireworks to be there at 8:30. Maybe I'll hook up with you guys on the trail system. Don't wait for me.

Jim said...

Hope to see ya'll out there. Dont know how wet it may be, we got a downpour of rain in lexington late this afternoon but it looked like it came in from the other direction.

Training Tim said...

Glad I missed you guys. Whoa! What a day. I could never keep that up. I'm impressed.

Jason said...

Monty does not warm up... ever ;)

I saw your truck in the lot, but I did not have my bike. I hiked with my wife and little girl with our dogs.

Sounds like you guys put in some good summer miles.