Saturday, September 20, 2008

Saturday - Get some hammer out

Was a good ride today, seeing Monty' hammer slinging reply posting set the mood going in and I got pumped to let some hammer out too. Might of started out a little harder than I should of but with the cool air and the company I havent ridden with in awhile(Tom, Monty and Dennis) was feelin good. Taboot, the fellas let me start the ride in front this time so with all this going on I just couldnt hold back the urge to let some hammer out. Was trying to hold a brisk pace and was feeling good with the effort but didnt take long when my darn pocket water bottle popped out and was playing catch up again. Luckily for me the pack held up at the crossing over to lost creek and I was given another oportunity to hang with the pack. The duration to this point was still to short and the stop I had to make to retreive the bottle had me feeling like more hammer must sling. So after a quick regroup we headed out the connecter over to stewardship where we could let some more hammer loose thru stewardship over to the gravel road. Was rollin good all the way to harder section when the darn bottle came out again. This was when I cussed the darn thing and swore to myself I wont try this 24oz size again. I had tried a 20oz bottle the other week and didnt have any problems, dont know if was the extra height sticking out that cause it to come out to easy or what , but psychological or not I'm sticking with 20oz or smaller bottles for the pockets from now on.
It was a darn brisk pace all the way thru the connectors, into spider woman , thru the inner loop before we all did a check point stop right before the rock garden. To this point we were averaging 11.3 which included inner loop. This must of been a turning point though, we ended up taking a very extended break talking about running, races, you name it and by the time we got moving again to hit the rock garden it was pathetic. We must of looked pretty bad, usually you stumble once, maybe twice, but this was bad. I know I had to stop and restart 4 times and not to take it from anyone else it seemed one of us would have to dimount, let someone around, then that person would dismount, and so on... Kinda like some sort of chinese fire drill to make it thru the rock garden. By the time we cleared the rest of spider woman it dropped our average down to 10.8. Boy, its usually the inner loop that kills your average, but nope, this time we got shut down from the rock garden.
From there continued the outerloop thru stewarship, eagle trail , back over to lost creek. Riding to lost creek I got separated from Monty and Dennis and Tom had to bail but after waiting a few minutes outside Lost Creek realized they must of headed out so ended up riding Lost Creek solo and met back at the lot aftwards.
Overall great ride today and was able to drop a couple hammers too.

Stats
Dist: 23.69
Avg Speed: 10.9
Time: 2:11
Max Speed: 24.7

3 comments:

hammernails said...

Good job on that hammer slinging man, my knees were feeling it from the single speed all day. Hopefully I will see you guys again in a few weeks.

Tom said...

Dennis and I are looking at this Sat morning (27th) also. Let me know if that works for you.

Jim said...

Saturday morning sounds good to me too, thats my usual ride time 90% of the time unless Tonya has something planned. Just let me know when ya'll wanted to start and I should be good with anytime.