Monday, September 15, 2008

New Shifters

Since I have had my bike I have been plagued with shifting problems under loads both with the front sprockets not wanting to upshift or skipping right past the middle ring on the way back down. If it wasnt the front causing grief it was the rear skipping past one of the center rings only to slam into the next adjacent gear. Well... I finally hope I have seen the last of these problems for awhile anyway when this last trip to the shop they upgraded my Deore grade shifters and derailers to Sram X.9. I am now running XT Cassett, Sram chain, X9 front and rear derailers and shifters. I have only been able to take it out once on Saturday for a test ride but boy what a difference and I never imagined what a difference to the Deor shifters this would make. It now seems very crisp and spot on shifting compared to what I was used to and I love it. The thumb only shifters took a little getting used to and I still find myself releasing off the brake levers out of habit when I went to shift but figure this will pass in time. Between this and my pedals all this also helped nudge my anchor down a tad and I've now broke the sub 30lb weight barrier coming in at 29.97lbs. I know it aint much but I'll take whatever I can get. The last time I had it weighed it was 31.69 with my old pedals and tires.

Thanks for the heads up on the Monday ride Tom but I wasnt able to make it. I definately want to try and hook up and do some sort of group ride though, its been boring as hell for what seems like the last month I've not been running into anyone out there.

1 comment:

Tom said...

No problem. I am on a Monday/Thursday schedule now so if those nights work, let me know.