Sunday, September 28, 2008

Saturday Steam Ride

After raining all day Friday Tom and Dennis thought of mixing it up and heading down to Manchester for an early morning Saturday ride. Had been anxious to go there since hearing about it months ago and was eager to go. Got to the trailhead around 7:30 and headed out for campbell Pond. Even though they indicated how much better Manchester drains after the rains I was still surprised at what good condition the trails were and think we only saw an inch of standing water in one spot all morning. Guess I spoke to soon when I mentioned the fall weather was finally here cuz it was a thick one out there today. When we got to the end of Campbells pond Tom made joke about the steam radiating off him. I'm not talking the squint your eyes and look real close either. It wasnt so striking as you would get with setting dry ice out in water but darn if it wasnt obvious everytime we stopped.
The dirt/sand was fine but the roots and logs were definatley on the slick side. Unlike the predictable slide I'd come acustomed to with my tires on the dry roots when they hit these babies it was instantanious slippage if you hit them off camber. Forgot how nice it is to ride unfamiliar trails and whether it was my riding unefficiency on unfamiliar trails or having to stay alert thru the tight tree lines I was having to work and feeling it.
Dennis brought the heat today and on our second lap thru Killer three he kept a fast pace making sure he left everything in the woods this ride. I may have drew into closing range a couple times but didnt think twice on making any moves as I knew I wouldnt of been able to maintain his pace today. Should of known he came to ride after on our first trail he showed he could take a good hit and ready for more when he went to clear a down tree and his front sprocket hooked in and caused him to do an endo face first into the ground :)
Looking forward to the next time we can get out there, thats some nice flowy trails with enough technical to keep you on your toes for sure.

4 comments:

hammernails said...

DUDE! It is deer season and I might be wrong but last itme I checked you can't ride Mancherster Mon. through Sat. Sundays are the only days that cyclist are allowed to ride during the season. Not only that but down there if you don't ride with your cycling permit on you they will write you a ticket.

Man you guys must have been riding fast to out run bullets.

Seriously check with Paul on this!

Jim said...

LOL, go figure, ya know we were hearing shots being fired and thinking man I hope they stay clear of us. It was on the ride back when Dennis and I stopped at a convience store for a drink and saw a couple trucks full of hunters then it dawned on us , hmmm, maybe thats why we didnt see anybody out here. Guess that answers that :), wont have to worry about this one doing it again :)

Tom said...

http://www.state.sc.us/forest/mbike.htm

That explains the gunshots we were hearing. There was also a jogger out there with us and I saw a family trying to hike as well when I came out to the parking lot.

hammernails said...

Saturday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FATS is were it is!

You in????