Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Wednesday Ride

Met up with Jason and Tim in the front lot around six and headed out for Lost Creek. We started out at a good pace and when we stopped before crossing the road we all were already sweating pretty good and I had to start hitting the hydration pack. It was gonna be a hot one. We headed down Lost Creek Clockwise and after the first descent climb we all stopped a few minutes for more hydration and realized we were feeling the heat pretty good and had to motivate ourselves to get moving or we were gonna end up wanting to walk out if we kept still. We road at a controlled pace and ran into Adam somewhere in the middle going the opposite direction, awe nice, another exuse to stop. So after shooting the breeze a minute or so all took off. Told Adam we were the JV squad and with the heat if he was ready to hammer he might want to take lead but luckily he must not of been in hammer mood either and we just continued at a steady pace.
After Lost Creek Adam and I took the outer loop around and was going to meet up with Jason who took an alternate route for a spider woman run but guess we were to late coming around and never ran back into Jason. On our outer loop I had a good downhill run thru the stewardship downhill section and into harder, wasnt checking any stats at the time but it was just one of those runs you feel when you nail it.
Right before the midlands switchbacks I got called from work (I'm oncall for the next two weeks) and had to stop and call work back, never fails these oncall support calls come at the worst possible time and messed up our pace, Adam graciously decided to wait for me while I took the call and we were able to get going after about 5 minutes. Sorry Jason, this may have been the cause of us missing you too. Anyway, we road thru spider woman (no innner loop) and then headed back to the lot thru the rest of the outer loop. Passed Toby P on the trails but he wasnt wearing the normal Jersey and it was more a after thought when we passed that I thought man, I think that was Toby.
Ariving back at the lot Jason and Toby were heading out. Was talking to Toby about the Catawba race course and heard he did a 12 hour ride there. Man, I gotta quote Jason here and say "All Hail Toby". Dont know how he did it, thats one tough course and it wipped me after my measly two laps which was 2 hours at my slow speed which is a fraction of what he runs, Go Toby!

Todays Stats
Dist: 17.86 miles
Avg: 10.4
Max: 22.1
Time: 1:42

4 comments:

Toby Porter said...

Catawba torture test is passing the white water center on a hot day. I raceed the 6hr event last year. The heat was so bad I thought I might die. Then you pass the wwc again & again.

Good job on your race.

Training Tim said...

Do you remember seeing that family on Lost Creek with little kid riding?

After passing them while they waited on a hill, my biggest worry was having him pass me back. :)

Jim said...

Toby - guess after I heard you mention endurance race there I must of been blown away, 6 or 12, whichever dont know how ya'll did that one. Ya, and torture it was seeing all them rafters enjoying the ride in water, it looked so refreshing ....

Tim - Know what ya mean, for me it was the woman that would pass us, then we would pass her back, must of did the back and forth 3 or 4 times, I was determined we better leave that trailhead first :).

Jason said...

I made sure that the last time I passed that woman was the last time I saw her myself... hot or not, getting chicked on a weekday cruise is just not cool :)