Thursday, June 12, 2008

Long Week

Here it is thursday and I havent been able to hit the trail all week and going nuts. Hitting the other blogs trying to feed of just reading about riding I was able to get a little info and sounds like I missed a good Wednesday ride. Was good to atleast hear about a ride, although this is really driving me nuts now and hoping the wife can get home early today and give me a little trail time.
Been quite the week, think Monty's posting of car troubles were an omen for me as I had to drop off the truck on Tues for a check engine light/surging that started on my way back from catawba that I figured I would try to squeeze in and get back in time before Wednesday group ride. Also had a coupon for an $17.95 oil change and tire rotation I figured I'd let them change it since they had it anyway. Well, that ended up being a costly mistake, I usually run Mobil 1 Full Synthetic oil and buy this stuff at walmart in 5 quart jugs at around $23 bucks so I figured letting them upgrade the coupon to use this oil would be around $30 more (takes 7 quarts). Heck Id spend it anyway so didnt question a cost on it and left it at that. Well, today when I finally was able to pick up my truck, that oil change cost me $89 bucks. WTH, I was like I can get this for less than 4 bucks a quart at walmart and they charged me $10 per quart. Anyway, live and learn but definately wont be using anymore of them coupons again. The surging/light was the EGR valve and hopefully that is atleast fixed. With my deductable and taxes I guess I got off lighter than Monty and my total was $203. Kids are sick "again" this week and had to stay with both of them on tuesday and again today with just my daughter. Daughter has another ear infection and were now waiting to hear back from the ear doctor on scheduling her in for tubes. She gets these ear infections everytime she gets sick and we kept thinking she would be better off with tubes so she doesnt have to suffer so much, but now that we actually have to do it were a little nervous about them having to put her to sleep for the surgery, but keep telling ourselves its probably for the best. One more thing that kept us going this week were both my Father-in-law and Sister-in-law had surgery at the hospital to add to an already hectic week and I'm more than ready to hit the trails and unwind alittle.

UPDATE
Yahoo! Was able to get out and hit the trails around 6:30 this afternoon and get some ever needed trail time. Man, those trails need some moisture, its getting mighty dry and dusty out there. Feeling a little to upright in the cockpit lately I figured I'd try adjusting my bars down/out a tad to see if that would stretch me out any and see how the Trance would ride. I rode lost creek first shooting for a 30 minute or less ride but just couldnt pull it off. Ended up with my Exact same time of 32+ seconds, I just cant seem to beat this yet. Made my way around the outer loop and that sweet downhill section on stewardship I was cruising pretty good and at the bottom were a couple of young guys right in the middle of the trail standing next to there bikes chatting. I had plenty of time to react and all, it was just one of those things that had to slow way down and crank back up any momentum. By the time I got up the midlands switchbacks the winds were starting to blow and there was some rumbling above so I picked a clearing to get a better view of the clouds before deciding to ride spider woman or not. Well, I proved to be a slacker without the group ride and talked myself right out of doing spider woman and thought I'd just continue the outerloop. It never did rain a drop and the clouds looked like they were moving away I just took the easy way out tonight...
Wasnt sure if it was just the unfamiliar feel of the handlebar adjustment I made or what but it seemed there was a feel I was pushing the wheel out in the turns that I didnt like so while I debated the clounds and spiderwoman I tweaked the bars back to the original position. After the return adjustment I can definately say I like that original position better as I put her to test thru that new curvy section on the back of midlands just after spider woman. I only changed it like an 1/8 of an inch or so but something made it feel like it was handling different in the turns and in standing position. From there just continued the outer loop to crooked pine back to the gazeebo area and headed out the same way I came in.
Felt good to get out.

Stats:
Distance: 18.31
Time: 1:39
Avg: 10.9 (I gotta do something here, so close to breaking my 10.x syndrom
Max: 22.7

4 comments:

hammernails said...

Mobil 1 Syn is good stuff just ask my chevy. 336,000 miles and going with that stuff and no engine troubles what so ever.

Training Tim said...

Good Luck with the tubes. I have a friend whose son had it done, and it made all the difference. Still scary. Hang in there!

Jason said...

10.9!!!! You should have taken off down the gravel road when you saw that on your computer to get that .1 :)

Jim said...

I know, the 10.9 avg I didnt even check the stats on till I got home and went to log in my spreadsheet. On the trail I usually just leave it on the distance or time display and didnt even check it. I guess with wuss'n out on spider woman it just wasnt meant to be. I am really considering trying some faster rolling tires too, these excavator knobs may be just a tad much for summer out there.