Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Wednesday Ride & New Toy

Didnt see any of the usuals I'm used to riding with out there tonight but fortunately recognized a couple Harrels Jerseys in the lot and after going up and introducing myself found it was Joe and Barry (sorry if the spelling is wrong) . I had been on one ride with Joe before but didnt recognize him until he was putting on his helmet and last time he pretty much stayed in the front of the pack and didnt really get a chance to talk with him. After talking a bit found Barry was relativly new to mountain biking too and has just been doing it a couple years and shared the same experience of strugling trying to keep the 'A' team in sight when they decide to bring on the hammer and they welecomed me along for the ride. That was good cuz if they were gonna be tearing it up I would of let them ride and left it at a good meeting them not wanting to slow them down or anything.
My kids got me a new HR Monitor (PC-9) for fathers day and was anxious to try this thing out today.
Joe led the way tonight and mixed it up real good for us. It was a good steady pace tonight and we even got an inner spider woman loop in, although I had to climb in granny :( . We hit all the main trails out there tonight along with some good fireroad climbs ( 3x on that fireroad back by stewardship to keep looping back to other trails). On the last fireroad climb Joe called for an "attack" and had to try to bring out some hammer although mine was more along the lines of a tack hammer tonight but still made for a pushed climb. Also got the chance to hit a new fireroad I hadnt been on that took us over to Lost Creek. Joe had to pull double duty bike mechanic as barry kept having rear derailer problems and Joe finally did a complete re-adjustment mid stewardship for him.
I really like this new HR monitor and now I have something else to get into logging some stats. Although I'm not yet sure how to make best use of it, its like a new toy and maybe as I start getting some historical data I hope to atleast start seeing some patterns of my rides. Lookout Jason, I'll probably bombard you with questions for awhile :) . The first being the zones, do you need to worry if your running in the Power Zone to much or is this just a guideline. I mean I dont want to have a coronary out on the trails or anything. The watch default set my max rate at 186 which is higher than if I use the formula to figure but Im mainly wandering if the goal is to be able to ride hard without pushing your max HR as best you can. Tonights ride showed I was in the Power Zone 75% of the time for 1:39, and I dont want to be stressing the ticker to any unsafe levels or anything. Just currious.

Overall Stats:
Distance: 22.45
Time: 2:09
Avg Speed: 10.4
Max Speed: 25.8
Avg HR : 155

2 comments:

Jason said...

To really get the most out of the training tool, you have to find your real max. This is not going to be fun, but you should be OK with as much riding as you already do. Basically, you want to find a hill and ride it several times to get your HR up. Then climb the hill one last time as hard as you can. Right towards the top when you're about to fall out... that's when you stand and sprint as hard as you can. Look down and you'll see the max you need to program into the computer. Sounds fun, huh?

I think you're suppose to aim for under 70% for endurance and over 85% for power. There's a middle ground between the two where you're not getting as much out of it... it's too hard for endurance, but not hard enough for real power.

Jim said...

Oh man, that sounds like a load of fun, -- NOT. Well, may have to work that one in whenever Im out and in the mood, kinda hard to look forward and plan that. Im thinking I'll do this adventure on Midlands climb, atleast there I'll have some running room and can get out of the way if needed unlike the inner loop which would be a feet to climb that one a few times let alone a final sprint.