Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Short Trip

Didnt think I was going to be able to ride tonight because I was home all day with a couple of sick kids but my thoughtful wife was able to b-line it home after work and releive me of parental duties for a bit. That was just what the doctor ordered, was itching to get out and stretch the legs and all with this being my first ride since the race. Was running a bit late and didnt head down the trail till about 6:20 and figured Id just get a quick solo ride. Headed down Lost Creek, reset my timer and was going to do a time trial run when I barely got a little over a mile in and heard a familiar voice yell "Rider Up" , it was Monty and Joe heading the opposite direction so I just pulled it aside, did an about face and did the normal try to hang routine. Must of just pulled out ahead of Jason as he came out right after me and we all met up back on the main trail for a breather before pulling off again.
Had to cut the remainder of the ride short to be back home by 8 ish and cut out and skipped Spider Woman and just did the outer loop straight back to the lot. This was my shortest ride in months and wish I could of done more miles but better something than nothing (12.8 miles) .
On the plus side, at least this one logged me a quicker time than I can ever normally log and I had a 12.1 avg speed vs my normal 10.x. I know it doesnt count for a hill of beans since I didnt take any difficult trails but hey ya gotta have something to shoot for once you log it once one way or another.

8 comments:

Jason said...

12.1 average and putting 14 minutes on me at Stumpjump... I'm officially moving you to the list of people who drop me on my blog :) Good to see you last night, glad you were able to get a ride in after all.

hammernails said...

12.1 good job! You got in a little bit of a difficult trail, lost creek.

Jim said...

lol, you better hold off on that one Jason, this was my fastest logged time avg EVER by over a whole mile per hour. Chances are it was a fluke still having a case of the post race fever dying to get out and ride, but was so glad to see it that had to log it regardless and have a goal to do it again now. Also not sure about my cycle computer, ever since I changed tires its been showing what seems to be higher mileage, next group ride Id like to sync up with someone to make sure its logging right.

hammernails said...

Jim role your wheel out. Mark a spot on the tire role it out one rotation. measure that length and multiply it by 25.4 that will give you the distance in Millimeters. That is the number that you enter into your computer for wheel size.

hammernails said...

I know role is spelled ROLL!!!!

Jim said...

Wow, thanks for the cycle computer insight, after going the route you indicated I came up with 2095mm, where the default on my computer for wheel size 26x2.1 that I was using was set at 2068. Thats about an inch off per revolution. Just when I thought I was doing a little better bumping up my numbers ever so slightly lately without any offset in fatique. Knew it seemed to good to be true. So much for my new personal avg record, now Im gonna have to duplicate the route sometime just for a reality check. But I really am glad I have this straightened out now, thx.

Jason said...

I'm hereby demoting you from "dropper" to "ridding buddy"...lol. Maybe that's the key to getting faster for me. I'll just tell my computer that I'm rolling 20" kid's wheels and light you all up with a 15mph average speed :)

Jim said...

LOL, ya ya, I definately get the bonehead award this week. "O gee, look at me I got a new record and so fast , blah blah blah , LOL .
Glad to be out of the dropped list though, to much guilt trip there, thats for the elites compared to us.