Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Alternatives

Not able to hit the woods anywhere close to as often as I would like or need to I ended up getting a NordicTrack Bicycle machine in an attempt to fill in for those days you just gotta do some crankin but cant manage to get out. It was a tough choice when I would of loved to spend that money on lightening up the real rig but this choice won the mutual vote since Tonya can get some use out of this too and fair is fair. With the rains coming thru today didnt make it to Harbison and used this as oportunity to give the new bike machine a go. This isnt one of those high end professional machines but rather an affordable compact unit that is just meant to fill a gap for not being able to make it to the trails and have something to get the heart rate going. Well, ... I can say I like it much better than sitting around in front of the computer or couch but nowhere close to being out on the real thing. B O R I N G, sums it up, but hey atleast I'm crankin I kept telling myself. I guess you get what you pay for but dang, the seat on this sucker has to go. Unfortunatley the seat doesnt look like I can change it so I'll be trying to think of some way to rig a real one. The angles are all wrong with limited adjustmentsand a big honkin love seat that must be made for someone trying to loose 100lbs of ass. Had to end my wana-be ride after just an hour due to a new uncomfortable feeling I havent experienced before, its definately gonna take some getting used to. Its way to smooth too, maybe this is something roadies can relate to but I was hoping to be able to simulate that instant climb feel where you have to give it your all to make it or drop and its just nowhere to be found on this thing. All in all Im am very glad to now have something I can somewhat work on getting miles in on even if its not the real thing, just doesnt compare to the real thing.
On a positive note having missed the real ride today Im gonna try and take Friday off and head up to Charlotte to ride the trails at the US Whitewater Center to see how they are and hopefully do the race on Sunday. Would do it Saturday but I'm still at a point where I do better with a day of rest before hitting race pace. I know it is a normal work day but if anyone is off and interested in going let me know and would be great to make it a group ride.

3 comments:

Jason said...

Those exercise bikes are never dialed in like your real bike as far as fit. Those seats are more in line with what you might want to plow a field with while atop a vintage tractor, not spinning the cranks. Wider is not better :)

I'm thinking I might skip this upcoming race. Killing a day and $25 to prove that I'm still in the bottom third of Sport does not sound like fun :) I'm thinking about hitting Harbison on Saturday instead. Maybe I'll change my mind.

hammernails said...

One word "Trainer." You can put your bike on it, your wifes bike on it. They are less than or equal to an excersize bike. But more noise if you don't get a 26" road tire. I love my trainer, I even put the wifes beach cruiser on there for her.

http://www.cycleops.com/c-6-trainers.aspx?skinid=2

Jim said...

Will have to wait awhile on my next purchase, maybe after summer I'll get some wiggle room on a trainer but until then guess I'll be riding the new plow machine :) .
You know my times too and I'm nowhere near podium contention either, just looking to get my next fix for that race event adrenilin and lay down some 1st season baselines.