Friday, October 31, 2008

Tsali Trip

Last weekend was an awesome trip up to Tsali trails around lake fontana. Got to enjoy 2 days of riding bliss on some of the sweetest trails I have yet to ride. We left out Saturday morning around 7, drove around 3 hrs to finally setup camp at the Tsali campgrounds right there at the trailhead. Upon ariving the mood was instantly set that this was truly a mountain bikers oasis as the whole campground was full of tents and bikes everywhere with a constant shuffle of riders coming and going from the trailhead. Wanting to get right in on the action we opted to hit the bikes for a loop before unpacking and setting up camp. We headed out and did Thompson loop and Mouse before coming back for some late lunch and setting up camp. The scenery around this place was absolutely breathtaking and I only wish I could portray how nice it was. I kept thinking now this is what its all about and it definately had my blessing for being rated in the top 10 U.S. trails. This being my first "real" mountain ride my adreniline was high riding the along the narrow ridgeline overlooking the cliffs. Sure I have had rides with a section or two putting you on your toes on the edges but this was the best with several sections of the trails keeping constant reminder that any bad judgement call would cost you dearly.
After getting camp setup went back out for one more shorter ride thru the Mouse Scenic route just to take in some of the scenery one more time then it was back to hit the showers and head out to the get some real food at the Nantahala Recreation Center.
Next morning we werent in any real rush to get moving since it we were waking up to what was supposed to have been somewhere around 33 degrees and we wanted to let that sun come out a little. Day two of riding we got to hit the Left and Right loop which surprisingly up'd the ante from what we rode the day before. Left and Right loop were the icing on the cake in the form of both the trails and surrounding scenery. The trail conditions were good other than a bunch of whoopty do's with low spot mud holes but they were short enough that it actually added to the experience. One thing we learned after day one first loop was that our white lightning chain lube didnt hold up worth anything out here and we had to swap to a wetter condition lubes.
Day two I had one endo crash going thru a creek crossing where it was around a corner and when I made the turn there were a couple of guys waiting for me to clear before proceeding but they were standing on the side I would of normally picked for the line and when I went right I had to crest over a big root which upon clearing found there was a crater on the other side which stopped my front wheel in its track and over I went. Was kinda funny, one of they guys standing there actually caught my bike as it was being flipped right at him so that atleast kept it from landing on top of me :).
Cant wait to do something like this again!

Casualties:
2 tubes
bottle of chain lube
bruised knee (from endo crash)
broke off my big toe tonail

No comments: