Monday, April 13, 2009

New Hoops

Finally broke down and got me a set of some decent wheels. Been going back and forth over what to get but ended up grabbing a set of 2009 Mavic Crossmax ST wheels. http://www.mavic.com/mtb/products/crossmax-st-disc.996801.1.aspx I know I could of done better with a lighter set but wanted an all around wheel I could install and ride with as my main set of wheels, take to the mountains and yet still feel good using them for the races too. Got them with the Mavic MP3 plan so atleast theres some confidence should anything come up in the next two years they will repair/replace them free of charge. The last selling point for me were they come 15QR compatible so I'll be able to go that route should I want to when the time comes to replace that all coil 5.2lb beast of a fork I have.
This is the deal for tubeless too man, was running those wtb rims and had to build up the rim cavity, install the stans rimstrip and work the tire on to get the bead seated. With these babies, just install the tire and a little juice and thats it... simple and my tires pop right on the beads with no need to work anything,, sweet.
While there not the lightest out there by any stretch, they sure made a difference in my setup. My bike weight before the upgrade was 29.4, afterwards its now 27.7 so I'm guessing my old wheels were somewhere around 2000g + velox & rimstrips. I've only been able to ride them on two wet rides so far but I think I'm getting a feel for how a stiffer/lighter wheel seems to react quicker.

3 comments:

jpelton said...

That is one of the best upgrades you can make and feel a huge difference.
Dropping almost 2lbs of rotational weight is big.

Watch out for Jim at the Harbison Race!

Tom said...

I guess i'm going to have to lose 4 pounds in my waist before sunday so I can keep up with you. 2 to match the wheel weight and another 2 to match the rotational weight. By the way, which class are you racing in?

Jim said...

I've registred for Sport 30-39. This will be my last season in this group. Hate to face it but I'll be joining the old geezer club right around the corner when I turn 40 this summer, ouch.